Non-toxic Deodorants with Essential Oils
One of the reasons I was initially interested in essential oils was to reduce the toxins coming into contact with my body. I figured if I make it myself, it would have to be more natural, right? I was also really struck by the number of times I’d purchase a product and each time the packaging would be going in the bin, even if it’s a recycle bin I thought there had to be a better way!
Once I realized how easy it was to use essential oils to make low-tox body products I got started swapping all my personal care and body products over. It’s been a ton of fun and adding in the essential oils not only creates an AMAZING aroma, especially when you use top quality oils like dōTERRA, but it is a great benefit for the body too.
One of the first changes I made was deodorant. I honestly felt like deodorants from the shop either didn’t work, were highly synthetic, or both!
I have three different versions on the go and I like alternating between them personally. They are listed below in order of difficulty, the first one being the easiest. Depending on your body you might prefer one or the other. If you give them a try please come back and let me know what you think in the comments.
Magnesium Spray Deodorant
What you need:
- 50ml Spray bottle 20ml
- Magnesium Oil (I use Amazing Oils)
- 30ml Witch hazel
- dōTERRA Lavender EO
- dōTERRA Patchouli EO
- dōTERRA Peppermint EO
- Add magnesium oil to a 50 ml glass spritzer bottle
- Top up bottle with witch hazel
- Add essential oils Shake and spray
- Note – number of drops will depend on your personal choice and comfort level. Personally I use about 10 drops in this recipe.
- DIY products react differently on everyones skin and material/textiles, please do your own test/research before use
Why I use the oils I chose here:
Lavender - Lavender has a beautiful aroma and is supportive for skin
Patchouli - Patchouli is used for scent, it has a rich and musky smell, it is also beneficial for skin and has grounding and balancing effect on the emotions.
Peppermint - Peppermint has a cooling effect on the body due to the menthol in it
Portable Roller Ball Deodorant
What you need:
- Fill roller bottle with fractionated coconut oil leaving a bit of room for essential oils
- Add essential oils (number of drops depends on your personal choice, I like to use 6-8 in a 10ml rollerball for this recipe).
- Pop the roller ball top on tightly, lightly tip to mix
- Apply as needed
Basic Deodorant Paste
What you need:
- Storage container with lid (glass is a good option
- ½ cup bicarbonate soda
- ½ cup coconut oil (hard not liquid)
- Essential oils of choice
- Put all ingredients into a bowl or thermos blender, mix well
- Add essential oils, start with a few drops, check the smell and consistency, then feel free to add some more until you're happy to your comfort level. I like to start with small amounts to see how it suits my body, then add more if needed.
- Once a nice mixed paste has formed you can scoop this into your choice of container. Use a spatula to avoid contamination or make and use in small batches.
Like this blog post? Check out another of our blog posts Why Diffuse Essential Oils?