Posted on February 14 2019
Running has always been a love hate relationship for me...
I love the high I get after a run, and the freedom of just getting out there, plus the health and fitness benefits! But I've always struggled with shin pain and recovery soreness for days and sometimes up to a week post run.
Essential oils have been a huge revelation in my running routine and I'd love to share some tips that have helped me in my run and recovery.
Essential oils can have an amazingly positive effect on your run. Do these things and tell me how you go!
- FRANKINCENSE - Make a blend of Frankincense and carrier oil in a blending bowl and massage into your legs. Frankincense is excellent at promoting circulation and muscle recovery.
- ICE BLUE RUB - Similar to "Deep Heat", Ice Blue Rub has both a cooling and warming effect, and I find it to be excellent when massaged into the legs as part of a pre run routine.
- PEPPERMINT - Put a drop of peppermint in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup them over your nose, and deeply inhale - being careful not to get too close to your eyes. Peppermint promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing.
Post Run Routine
Essential oils can drastically reduce your recovery time and get you out hitting the streets or the trails sooner. It can be tempting to physically push yourself to run through the pain and get back out there before your body has had time to recover. Always listen to your body and remember that recovery time is a necessary part of improving your running!
- MASSAGE - Combine either Aromatouch, Cypress, or Marjoram in a blending bowl with a carrier oil and massage into sore areas of the body.
- LIFELONG VITALITY PACK (LLV) - doTERRA Lifelong Vitality Pack is full of essential nutrients, metabolism benefits, and powerful antioxidants designed to help promote energy, health, and lifelong vitality.
- BATH - Soaking in a warm bath with Aromatouch creates a soothing, relaxing and healing environment, which is perfect for tired and sore muscles.
That about sums up my essential oil tips for running. Thanks for reading and if you have any comments about your experience with essential oils and running I'd love to hear them - Leave them below.